SharePoint server helps users to work together by setting up Web sites to share information with others, managing documents from start to finish. It has also a feature to publish reports to help everyone make better decisions. Huge amount of data get stored on SharePoint platform, in this case backup and recovery becomes critical and it proves to be a challenge for administrators. For this Microsoft provides a viable solution that is System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM).
Data Protection Manager (DPM)
System Center Data Protection Manager is a data protection solution for Windows servers & provides the best protection and most supportable restore scenarios from disk, tape even from cloud also.
Key Benefits of Data Protection Manager (DPM):
- DPM can easily recover single sites, site collections & a single document.
- DPM can easily browse and restore single sites, documents, lists, ASPX pages, templates, contacts and entire SharePoint databases and systems.
- DPM also restore the entire configuration of SharePoint farm including the configuration database, administration content database, and the content databases
- Copy to a network folder for archival purposes.
- It also helps to restore a individual content database to the SharePoint Server farm.
DPM 2007 used to protect SharePoint 2007 and WSS 3.0 & for SharePoint 2010, DPM 2010 is available.
What's in DPM 2010 for SharePoint
- It provides protection for SharePoint 2007 and 2003 products and technologies.
- It provides automatic protection for new content databases.
- It does not require recovery farm for Office SharePoint Server 2010.
DPM is great utility. It is easily manage our backup & recovery process for both version of SharePoint 2007 & 2010.