Backup and restore solution options for Office SharePoint Server 2007:
Data Recovery & Protection Tools; Microsoft System Centre Data Protection Manager SharePoint Farm Backup & Recovery Stsadm site collection backup and recovery SharePoint Recycle Bins SharePoint versioning Stsadm import and export Third Party SharePoint Recovery Tools
Key Benefits of Data Protection Manager (DPM):
- Easy browse and restore of individual sites, documents, lists, ASPX pages, templates, contacts and entire SharePoint databases and systems
- Restore the entire configuration of SharePoint farm including the configuration database,
- Restore a single content database to the SharePoint farm.
Key Benefits of SharePoint Farm Backup & Recovery:
- You can use SharePoint Central Administration or Stsadm command-line tool to backup & recover a Farm.
- Before using this method, you should back up the server farm, Web applications, and any or all of the content databases in your server farm.
- To perform this method to backup and recovery, you must still be a member of the admin group on a computer on which Office SharePoint Server 2007 is installed.
- Restoring from one version of SharePoint to a different version is not supported
- At the same time, you cannot perform more than one recovery from the same backup.
Stsadm site collection backup and recovery:
- Don't make any changes to the site collection during the backup process; otherwise the backup can become corrupted.
- Backing up large site collections can take a long time.
- You should lock the site collection before you use Stsadm site collection backup.
- Site collection backups are extremely processor - and memory-intensive. Do not use the Stsadm backup operation for site collections larger than 15 gigabytes (GB).
For site collection backup: stsadm -o backup
For site collection restore: stsadm -o restore
Key Benefits of SharePoint RecyleBin: There is two types of recycle bin: first-stage Recycle Bin & second-stage Recycle Bin.
- The Recycle Bins collect deleted documents and list items such as documents, document versions, document libraries, picture libraries, announcements, calendars, links, tasks, folders, pages, team discussions.
- When a list item is deleted, any attachments to the item are also deleted and can be restored from the Recycle Bin.
- Items cannot be opened or viewed while in the Recycle Bin. An item must first be restored before it can be opened or viewed just like in windows.
- By default, items in both Recycle Bins are automatically deleted after a specified time period (the default setting is 30 days). If the second-stage Recycle Bin reaches its size limit, the oldest items are also automatically deleted.
- Site and site collection deletion is not managed through the Recycle Bins.
- Items move from the first-stage Recycle Bin to the second-stage Recycle Bin only when the first-stage Recycle Bin is emptied.
- The Recycle Bins can contain multiple copies of a document with the same file name and source. These documents cannot be recovered over an existing copy of a document.
- The Recycle Bins cannot be used to recover previous versions.
Key benefits of SharePoint Versioning:
- It allows the document library to keep multiple copies of the same document.
- In the event of an unwanted change, or a document corruption, the previous version can easily be restored by the end user.
- You turn on versioning at the library or list level. Items and files can be versioned.
- Versioning for standard lists is limited to major versions only.
- Accidental overwrites of documents---you must use versioning.
Key benefits of Stsadm export and import operations:
- To archive and re-insert a site or subsite, use export & import operations.
- Although using the export operation saves data for you, it does not produce a full-fidelity backup.
- The export operation can include content and security settings only.
- Export operation cannot include customizations and settings.
- The account that you will use to run the Stsadm command-line tool must be a member of the Admin group on the local computer.
Key benefits of SharePoint Recovery Tools:
- SharePoint Recovery Tools used to repair corrupt SharePoint database & SharePoint sites.
- These software works in all SharePoint corruption scenarios.
- It also attaches repaired MDF files to SharePoint Server.
- Works even all above methods unable to repair SharePoint database.
- Saves the summary of recovery process in a log file.
- Shows the preview of repaired database in demo version.